Clap Your Hands M A K E O V E R G I V E A W A Y
Ten (10) schools will WIN – selection by CYH Board of Directors (5-10 August 2021)
*Teachers from the districts will still continue to be able to request sample bags from Clap Your Hands – for their Self-Contained Classrooms. Beginning August 10, 2021.
Let CLAP YOUR HANDS help you customize your Resource Room at your school
*For children with cognitive and physical disabilities
- Who can apply? Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester’s 2 and 4, Teachers, School Counselors, School Therapists, Principals, Assistant Principals, District Heads of Special Services, Head Start agencies
- One room per school
- School Year 2021/2022
- Deadline to submit: August 1, 2021
- Winners will be selected August 5-10, 2021
- All pick-ups will be at my home (Sue). I live in Summerville
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your application to Clap Your Hands – P.O. Box 51322 – Summerville, S.C. 29485. Postmark must be no later than August 1st.
- Ten (10) schools will be chosen.
- One Paragraph explaining how your school would benefit from a therapeutic Resource Room.
A sample of what to expect to set up your Resource Room
- Pea Pod or Sensory Hanging Swing
- Sensory pads for the floor
- Sensory Box filled with Fidgets
- Lysol wipes
- Visual Timers
- Sample of weighted blankets, lap pads, sequin pads, maze pads, neck pads, fidget pads, vests, sensory cloths, fidget boards, bouncing seat balls, sand timers, ear reduction muffs, fidget seats, calming light, stretch tunnels, body sock.
- Younger age children – rocking sleds
EXAMPLE of APPLICATION:
School Name: ___________________________________
School District: ________________________________________
Your Name: ___________________________________________
Your Job Title: __________________________________________
Approximately how many students will benefit? ______________
How will your school benefit by having a Resource Room?
HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON 🙂
Our Mission Statement
Clap Your Hands provides therapeutic products for children with cognitive and physical disabilities. We serve in the tri-counties of Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester. We work directly with the child’s therapist, pediatrician and/or inclusive class teacher or counselor. All of our products are free of charge to the qualifying families and schools.
Overall highlights of Clap Your Hands – End of Year 2020
In November we celebrated our six-year anniversary as a 501 c3 pediatric non-profit. We continue to provide therapeutic products for children with cognitive and physical disabilities in the Low Country.
In the past 6 years we have been able to donate 14,000 therapeutic products to our local families and schools – free of charge. This is only possible because of the generosity of our donors, such as yourself. Our entire team of seamstresses are volunteers. We have no overhead or debt, making it all possible for us to use our funding for the children.
Last year we offered our big one-day Back to School event for teachers, counselors and resource teachers within the self-contained classrooms. We broke our one-day record in giving by donating to 1,800 classroom products. This year we had the community schools contact us directly and we provided sensory sample bags to each self-contained teacher, therapists, and resource teacher with the products that will help each student in the classroom.
Covid-19 has thrown us some curve balls in 2020, but we adjusted as needed. When the calls came because of a lack of facial masks for essential workers, we “answered the call” by providing 700 facial masks to them in our local communities. Help keeping everyone safe is our top priority.
We are hoping to offer free workshops in the community to learn how to make weighted blankets, lap pads and vests in 2021.
Clap Your Hands was honored to receive an Excellence in Community Service recognition. The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) presented the award to Sue Desautels in March 2020.
Founder and Executive Director of Clap Your Hands
Products and Services
Our weighted products provide a calming effect on the children. The weight release stress from the child, in the same way as giving a tight hug or swaddling a baby. Our weighted items have aided children with Autism, ADHD, Aspergers, Sensory Processing disorders, and many more.
Our Sensory pads are made with different types of textured material. We have many sizes and shapes designed especially for the child. We believe these to be extremely helpful for children who have been diagnosed with Trichotillomania and Dermatillomania. By giving the children an alternative to destructive behavior they are able to self soothe on their own.
WHAT WE MAKE – Weighted blankets, vests, lap and neck pads, maze pads, dressing vests, sensory pads, G-tube buttons, therapy hand and practice socks, fingerless gloves, ponchos, bibs for older children.